Preparation for Allergy Test:
- Avoid medications such as Claritin, Clarinex, Zyrtec, Allergra or any other allergy medications for 5-7 days in advance of the allergy test date.
- Avoid over-the-counter antihistamines, including Tylenol, Benadryl, cold & sinus medications, Alevert, Travis, Chlor-Trimeton at least 3-4 days prior to the test date.
- Do not take medications such as Tagament, Pepcid, or. Zantac 1 day prior to testing, as these contain antihistamine.
- Cologne or scented body lotion is prohibited as this can irritate other allergy patients, but deodorant is fine.
- Avoid the use or contact with topical corticosteroids 21 days prior to skin testing.
- 3 days before testing, make sure you have not had any other flu shots or immunizations.
Using any aforementioned medications can affect the results of your allergy test. If you are unsure about specific medications, please consult with your nurse prior to the test or appointment date.
- Dress accordingly – this test is performed on the skin of your back.
- Prepare your body to lay still, face down, with your back exposed for at least 15 minutes.
A follow-up will be provided discussing the results of your test and appropriate recommendations as necessary.
Please resume all necessary medications following the test.